Sunday, October 3, 2010

Our One Year Old

Yes...really....we have a one year old. I am still not believing it! I am a little sad that Clara Jo is already one, but we had such a great day celebrating it! Here is a picture that we had taken of Clara letting everyone know that it was her special day. I think she is going to be like her mother in the fact of wanting everyone to know when her day of birth is! :)




Her birthday was on a Friday so Dad was off of work and I was off of work as well (thanks to my spectacular job share partner) so we had the whole day to celebrate. The weather was so gorgeous that we took advantage of it and took Clara to the zoo. She enjoyed looking at all of the creatures and we just enjoyed some family bonding. Here we are entering the great Hogle Zoo.



In proof that Clara is getting older and bigger, she has surpassed the size of an infant gorilla. She doesn't look to excited about this accomplishment of hers!



We took time out for a little family snapshot. Please appreciate how Clara is not really looking or smiling. Hopefully that talent will come with time and age!



Since it was her birthday, we took a gander through the zoo gift shop and purchased a little stuffed animal for Clara Jo. We thought the highlight of the zoo was seeing the baby elephant Zuri. We even saw a neat show where the elephants performed some snazzy tricks. So we thought it would be fitting to purchase Clara a stuffed elephant at the zoo. However, I was tempted to buy the HUGE giraffe that costs $749!!!! However, we decided to go with the $14.99 model! Call us frugal if you must!



I was going to make Clara's birthday cake and cupcakes but decided since she wouldn't remember my efforts anyway, I would rather spend her special day bonding instead of stressing. Here Mama Jo and I are putting the cupcakes on the ever fabulous cupcake tree. This was one of my favorite wedding gifts and I waited until now to bust it out!



Later that evening, we invited some family and friends to help Clara celebrate her birthday with some cake and ice cream. Many people came and Clara Jo was definitely feeling the love. Here we are with her festive birthday table!



Can't you see the look of joy on her face in the midst of all those presents? Many people were so thoughtful and brought Clara toys, clothes, and other goodies. Clara Jo definitely scored!



The birthday girl definitely figured out the whole opening presents process. I am excited for Christmas since she will be more interactive and such. She loved the gifts and LOVED the tissue paper.



Here we are just before we were going to bust out the cake and ice cream. We got her a little cake that she could dive into and matching cupcakes for everyone else.



Singing to Clara before we were going to let her have her cake. Notice the paper on the floor and the naked girl...we were prepared for the mess that was to follow. However, we had no idea what a dainty and polite eater Clara was.



Watch guys! I am just going to eat a little frosting off of the top at a time as to not make a mess of myself and my cake.



Wow, this frosting is quite tasty! I think I am a fan!



Mom, why don't you help me get some of the cake part!



Now I am ready to embark on the eating of the cake on my own!



Sad but true, this is as messy as it is going to get!



Alright folks, cake show is over! :)




As you can tell from our many photographs, Clara Jo had a great birthday and we had so much fun celebrating our little one turning one.

5 comments:

AJ Candrian said...

OH! HOW CUTE IS SHE?!?! I thought about her all day on her birthday and I hope she got her present in time.

jrushing said...

Awww...How cute! Happy Birthday Clara Jo! And Sommer way to go on creating a fun and memorable 1st Birthday for your little one! Sorry we couldn't be there for the festivities! Birthday #2...Party in D.C. huh?! Good idea huh?

Chelita said...

1 year?! crazy! and she is so so so cute! She is going to be a heart breaker! Watch out!

Nicole Marsh said...

Happy Birthday Clara. Maelie wasn't messy on her first birthday, but got into it on her 2nd b day.

Elizabeth said...

I can't believe she's one. She sure is cute!